Take away some special memories...
Steal yourself away from Moorhens and its charm on the doorstep and visit: The Cotswolds, Forest of Dean & Wye Valley just a short drive away ...
The quintessentially English town of Newent is the perfect place for a peaceful holiday equipped as it is not only with a Lake and Park, but also Coffee and Tea Shops, Restaurants, Butchers, Bakers and Green Grocers all intermingled along the wonderful black and white half-timbered High Street just on your doorstep.
Then, within a five minute drive are: Three Choirs Vineyard where you can enjoy its tasting tour and restaurant, renowned International Birds of Prey Centre with flying displays, beautiful Ross-on-Wye located on the river and Three Shires Garden Centre complete with Farm Shop.
Newent is ideally situated to visit one of England's favourite destinations - The Cotswolds. It is an area famous for its countless honey-colour limestone villages in a rolling rural setting.
In summer, the Cotswolds offer fantastic walking, beautiful gardens, bustling farmers' markets and a delightful cafe culture.
The Wye Valley and Royal Forest of Dean occupy 27,000 acres of woodland being close-by are not to be missed either. Visit the Wye Valley, where a short walk from the car park to Yat Rock will give some of the most breathtaking scenery available anywhere in Britain.
Drive into the valley for a stroll along the Wye and across the pedestrian suspension bridge and return on the hand pulled ferry. Perhaps take a “Kingfisher Cruise” up the Wye too.
Saracens Head Pub and Restaurant is where you can enjoy a meal or quench your thirst, right by the river. Symonds Yat is a fantastic spot at any time of the year.
In the Royal Forest of Dean you step into a walker’s paradise. From Beechenhurst Lodge head for the start of the Sculpture Trail and enjoy the walk from one sculpture to another.
There is something to suit all ages and abilities and many pubs and restaurants are pet friendly too. See our downloadable visitor guide (above) so your trip can be planned, make reservations for activities or just decide on the spot for your extended picnic.
1. Birds of Prey Centre - Bill Bailey recently opened their new hospital. We humans are surrounded by birds in our daily lives, but so often don’t notice them, a visit here gives you the opportunity to see one group of birds up close, in many cases with no wire, and watch them fly amazingly close to you.
2. Sculpture Trail - The four-mile forest trail is one of the UK’s first of its kind and features 16 works of art. Seek out the blue ring posts which will help you navigate the trail.
3. Tewkesbury with its Abbey - fantastic Norman Pillars
4. Two wheel fun with miles of safe family cycle trails on the flat to heart-thumping downhill challenges. Don’t worry if you don’t have your own kit because Pedalabikeaway.co.uk are the affordable way to hire everything you need or book a guided ride.
5. Get Lost at Puzzlewood. Enjoy wandering through the ancient paths, twisted roots and mossy rocks in Puzzlewood.
Hear From Our Previous Guests...
Just a quick but big THANK YOU for helping us all spend a lovely few days at Moorhens. Your property is so well equiped – every time I looked for something it was always close at hand. Despite our short visit we raided the local produce shops at Three Shires Garden Centre and the Severn & Wye Fishery (twice!) together with the local butcher in Newent. We visited Ross on Wye, Symnonds Vat and Ledbury so had a good sample. Fabulous, Thanks again
Chris, Dorothy, Pat (& Chloe the cat!)
This is the second holiday that we have had at Moorhens - we were so pleased with the service and accomodation. We arrived early and Geoff let us in straight away. The welcome hamper was lovely and the accomodation was beautifully clean and had everything we wanted/needed. We love this part of the country and the location is perfect for walking and relaxing. We will be booking again for next year without a doubt. Thank you to Lynda and Geoff for your excellent service and hospitalilty.
Sarah and Tom
Lovely property a real home from home, clean, comfortable, glamorous well thought out décor and touches to make the stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.
Shirley and Edward